Friday 10 October 2014

Kitchen cabinet curtain DIY



To make this I used about .75 metres of printed cotton, 2 metres of elastic, and two suction hook thingys which you can buy here in packs of 12 for £1.99.


So I live in my granny's old house that my dear mama owns and renovated a few years back. When it came to designing the new kitchen, my mum (being a chronic food hoarder in the way that most mothers seem to be) decided to put about five thousand cabinets in it.


Trouble is, my kitchen is literally completely fucking lined with cupboards, except this one little gap, which we have tastefully filled in with saucepans and spare chairs. Looks cute right? 

First I measured my 'gap' that I wanted to cover with the curtain. It was about 60 inches across and 35 inches down. You'll need to add a bit extra for side and bottom hems (add 1 inch both length and width) and for the channel for the elastic at the top (add 2 inches). So I needed a 61 x 38 inch rectangle.


Sew half inch folded over hems along the bottom and sides of the rectangle first. Then sew a fully inch folded over hem along the top to thread the elastic through. It's helpful if you attach the end to a safety pin and then thread that through.


Helpfully illustrated with the above photograph.

Then all that's left to do is attach the ends of the elastic to the hooks on the sucker things, and stick them to either side of the gap.


And now nobody needs to see my rusty saucepans and half drunk bottles of amaretto. Victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment