Saturday 16 August 2014

Easy button-less zip-less cushion cover DIY



Listen, I think we can all agree that buttons and zips are a pain in the arse to sew. They're just super fiddly and annoying and I always manage to cock it up. I guess I'm just not that good at sewing. 
Whatever. Who cares. Don't judge me.

For this DIY all you need is about half a metre of fabric, a square cushion insert, and the ability to cut and sew in a straight line. Piece of piss right?


I used £1.35 cushion inserts from Wilkinson's, and the ridiculously named named margareta fabric I got when I was at IKEA last week. I bought 0.6 metres for £4.20 thinking that it would be enough to cover the two cushion inserts I'd bought. But of course it fucking wasn't. I was about four inches short lengthways. But you know, that's life I guess. Full of disappointment.


Okay, so the first thing to do is measure whatever cushion insert you're using, then basically cut out a rectangle the following size:

Length = (size of cushion) + 4 cm
Width = (size of cushion) x 2 + 14 cm 

My Wilko one was 40 cm, therefore:

Length = 40 + 4 = 44
Width = 40 x 2 + 14 = 94

So my fabric needed to be a 44 cm x 94 cm rectangle. Get it?


You should be able to wrap your fabric around the cushion with an overlap. 
Then you need to give the edges of the length a 2 cm hem.


Here is mine all pinned and that. Sew that shit up bro.


Next you turn the fabric inside-out, and fold it over so the lengths overlap by 10 cm. Sew both sides, turn it the right way out, and that's it. It's like a pillowcase so you don't need any fastenings.

Here's the back


The front


And ready for impromptu naps on my tiny sofa.




No comments:

Post a Comment